Business Development Manager
Good Governance Institute
This is a unique role in an exciting and growing organisation. GGI operates as both a leading management consultancy and a non-for-profit institute, dedicated to making a fairer, better world through implementing good governance, wherever it is needed.
This new post is one of several key new investments in scaling up our work. It’s a challenging role that will need a variety of skills. It’s the right job for someone who wants to make a difference and has both commercial acumen and is motivated by strong values and social worth. Working at GGI will be exciting and fast-moving – but we need this postholder to be consistent and precise as well as motivated by the big picture. You won’t find many jobs like this!
For the right person we are offering a competitive package with a starting salary of £42,868 (on a performance related scale rising to £50,155 against the achievement of goals) and in addition a package of generous benefits. This is a varied role which will offer the right candidate the chance for real personal growth and reward.
Closing date: 2nd March, 2020 Interview date 10th March, 2020
Along with the competitive salary, GGI goes the extra mile with staff benefits, including up to 5% employer’s contribution to our NEST pension, travel expenses to and from workspace (you are based at home with an expectation of coming into our workspace in Lambeth for meetings etc, and time at our finance team in Hastings), subsistence allowance when away from home, health/gym benefits, excellent development opportunities ranging from courses and qualifications through to working on projects of national importance with very senior team members. We really do go the extra mile to be a good employer because we ask a lot from our team members.
Our values polices and practices
We take our values seriously and are committed to a code of ethical practice which the successful candidate would need to embody. Resonance with our values and understanding of our mission are critical.
We promote equality, diversity and inclusion through the way we work and in our workplace. Our commitment is to operate at all times in full accordance with the best employment practice and always irrespective of age, disability (including hidden disabilities), gender, gender identity or gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The post in more detail
This is a new position within the management consultancy supporting the Good Governance Institute (GGI). Working to the Change Director, the prime function of this post is to ensure that GGI’s commercial, communications and business development activities are effectively managed.
The key relationships for the postholder will be:
- Change Director (line manager and the effective business development director for GGI)
- Chief Executive (who is the executive director overall accountable for business development)
- Programmes Director (the postholder will in time be relieving the Programmes Director of the management of proposals)
- Communications Director (who will be developing the GGI marketing function)
- Finance team
The postholder, like all GGI staff, will be home-based but with the expectation that they will spend at least two days a week at the GGI workspace in Central London and one day a week with the GGI finance team in Hastings.
The high-level success criteria for the post is to support the continuing income growth of GGI through managing the business of the commercial function.
The specific essential tasks are to:
- Master file. Oversee and coordinate the business development master file. This connects with the commercial file (contracts in place and active) but concerns organisations where contracted business has not been secured, covering both organisations where a proposal has been requested, organisations known to have a specific need in support and organisations where GGI is working towards building a commercial relationship
- Proposals. Oversee and coordinate the development and timely delivery of proposals. Proposals are usually written (or part-written) by senior GGI staff. The postholder will need to develop and maintain the proposal content library (biographies, case study examples, endorsements etc), ensure proposals are delivered to time and quality, liaise with clients and the GGI team as needed regarding proposal development etc
- Management information. The postholder will develop and deliver monthly business development management information, including a business development performance dashboard, to the senior management team
- Financial management. To support the Programmes Director and finance team with elements of credit control, contract management, invoice checking and identifying areas of financial risk within current contracts around deployment, reaching milestones to time etc
- Programmes management. To work with the Programmes Director to pick up the financial implications around slippage, and to ensure that variations to statements of work and properly documented and issued to clients. There will be a role for the postholder in checking and issuing statements of work
- Procurement and client finance teams. To liaise with clients where POs or other essential procurement issues have not been addressed by clients to ensure sound commercial arrangements are in place around GGI contracts
- Frameworks and tenders. The postholder will proactively seek bidding opportunities through researching frameworks, and maintain and develop GGI’s access to frameworks
- CRM, knowledge management, communications and marketing. The postholder will ensure that business development and GGI’s CRM, communications team and marketing function work effectively together, for example by making sure that GGI prospects are included in GGI events. In parallel GGI prospects should be kept involved in GGI’s knowledge management programme
- Alignment of communications with business development. GGI gains business through relationships rather than through putting proposals in for tenders, and the match between business development and communications need strong alignment around messaging and targeting. The postholder will need to ensure that communications and business development work symbiotically
- Market research. The postholder should proactively undertake market research to support business development activities
- Project management/consultancy. Every member of the GGI team is involved to some extent in service delivery and the postholder will work on a number of GGI assignments in a project management or consultancy role, depending on skills. This will support both the delivery of GGI services and familiarise the postholder with GGI’s work
Essential skills and experience
We have an open mind about the kind of person who could do this job. You might have business development experience already, or you might be a part-qualified accountant looking for something different, or you might be working in the public sector but have a bit of entrepreneurial drive you want to use.
The candidate must:
- Be numerate and able to put together numeric reports
- Have good written and spoken English
- Be a good communicator and a team worker
- Be a self-starter and problem solver
- Have confidence with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Have attention to detail and precision
- Be hard-working and self-sustaining
- Have a Degree or a compelling reason why you don’t have one
Desirable skills and experience
We would find the following useful in candidates:
- Public sector experience
- Business development experience
- Experience managing funding applications
- Managed a budget
- Accountancy, finance, commercial management or business management experience
- Project management
- Vocational qualification in business management, finance or accountancy
If you are interested, please submit an up-to-date CV of no more than three pages together with - importantly - a cover letter addressing your motivations and relevant skills for this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not heard within 7 days of the closing date please assume you have been unsuccessful.
For further information, Andrew Hughes, our Change Director or Andrew Corbett-Nolan, our Chief Executive, are happy to talk to interested candidates. Please contact email@example.com with your details and possible contact times.